Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Place mats






We made it through a craft though AP was very challenging the entire time. The kids had a snack. While they were eating their snack I read Disney's Pooh and The Falling Leaves (can you go wrong with Pooh Bear and toddlers?) We reviewed the colors in sign language and Spanish as well as English. I was hoping to show them the acorns that Anya had collected, but they were all pretty excited about the fact that we were painting. I had cut out 3 leaves for each child out of white paper. I gave each child their three leaves as well as the water colors to paint with. I had water cups set out in the center of the table for them to share. We only had one spill and nothing was ruined. After they were done painting the leaves they went to play. As the paint dried I had them come over and glue them to a green sheet of construction paper. This was much less organized then it may sound due to the fact that AP was acting out today and not wanting to share anything. She also was refusing to stay in her room for time out. Once the leaves were glued down I helped the ones who can't write their name to write their name. Finally I covered the pictures with contact paper to finish the place mat. I think it may have worked better if we would have done it in a 2 day stretch. It felt alittle rushed today. I am thinking we will skip the craft on Friday and just take a slow walk around the block to find nature items. Tomrrow G and S won't be here so I will be heading to a park to hang out with my kids. Who knows what we will find there.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Very cute idea! I am going to have to make those with the kids this weekend:) I love reading your blog...you have the BEST ideas!

Tracy said...

So where do you get all of your great ideas, do they just come to you in the shower like most brilliant ideas come to me... or do you organize themes... I need help :)

Shannon said...

I try to organize themes, and then I just type in on the good old internet

KG said...

What a great idea - I'm so impressed! I may use this one with my kids next week. Thank you!!