Today we started with our snack, as they were all finishing snack we recapped what we talked about yesterday (color changes, where they grow, what fall and Autumn were). Then I read them the story Four Friends In Autumn, by Tomie Depaola. After reading the story we talked about our letter, number, color, and shape of the week. Finally we got to the really exciting part of our lesson. We did the craft. We once again went on a "nature walk" on our way to pick up M from school. AP and G had bags they used to collect as many leaves as they could to use for our craft that I would not tell them what was. Keeps them anticipating what we might do with them. I gave each of them a paper plate with the center cut out, a bowl with glue, a q-tip (after explaining that we were not going to put them in any of our holes on our body), and we dumped the leaves out in the middle of the table. I had them listen to me as I explained that we were going to make leaf wreaths. I demonstrated how to do it and then let them try. S really loved to put the glue on the leaves and was very excited about it at first, but after about 6 or so he decided he was done. He is the youngest so he will become more engaged as he gets older. AR really got into it, the second youngest of the bunch, she didn't want to stop. She was the last one at the table. M was done relatively quickly since he is the oldest and has had many experiences, such as this, in his life. I started painting with him at 6 months of age. I didn't with the older 2 as soon, but they still have had their fair share of painting. In fact AR kept calling the gluing that she was doing "painting the leaves". I helped the younger 2 put their leaves on the paper plate. They didn't quite get how to flip it over to make it stick and were just leaving the leaves glue side up. AP and G seemed to catch on quickly and I was impressed with how much they all enjoyed such a simple craft. Once again they went to peacefully coloring on the sidewalk. Except for the Bee that got S. He was trooper though and barely cried. All in all I would say that today was a success:0) I hope yours was too.
Top 5 Things
12 years ago
2 comments:
Don't worry, he's fine! His sister had the mother of all meltdowns when she got home, however! I can't believe she's going to be alive to see you tomorrow! We did manage to make cupcakes for a birthday tomorrow! See how I worked that in without using names! "S" also goes by code name "monkey." "G" also responds to "punky" which is short for "punkin" as I called her when she was a baby.
Like the blog!
Great pictures Shannon! You have inspired me to get into crafting with Hannah. I know she would absolutely love it. Bryce had to find 5 leaves for school today. Last night in the dark we were walking about picking leaves off neighbor's trees. We tip toed and ran, it was so much fun. I need to get out and do things like that with my kids more often! Well, maybe we shouldn't be stealing, but you know what I mean...tee hee.
Post a Comment