Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stained glass Leaf






Ok so it is not glass, but it is intended to look like stained glass. Today we couldn't work on our number, letter, shape, or color card, I put them in a book that I took back to the library. I will have to get them back:0( We still reviewed colors red, orange, and Yellow today as we read Hooray for Fall. I had the kids use English, Spanish, and sign language today to say their colors. S was very cute trying to say the words in Spanish, he did a really good job for being just barely 2. I also read a weekly reader Early Learning Library book called Autumn/Otono. It is written in both Spanish and English. I just read the English portion, my Spanish is not that great. I actually read 2 books upon request from the kiddos, they wanted more. After reading books and talking more about fall mainly review, repetition is a wonderful thing to children at this age, we made our craft for today. We made Stained Glass leaves. I precut the squares of cray paper in red, yellow, and orange (the colors we have been working on). I drew a leaf shape on the clear non sticky side of a 10 X10 inch square of contact paper. I peeled the backing off and stuck the non sticky side onto the table using tape. I put out the containers with the cray paper in them on the table and had the children stick the cray paper to the contact paper. Then I placed another sheet of contact paper onto the side they stuck the cray paper to. The ones that AP, AR, and I made are hanging up in our window letting the sun shine through colorfully. AP cut hers out today by herself. I cut out the others, while the kiddos played on riding toys today. M was gone on a playdate, but I am sure that he had a lot more fun with the older kids then he does here with the little ones. He tends to get a little bored, but the others are not big enough to do more involved crafts or lessons so he will just have to put up with me:0) S and AR once again really got into sticking the cray paper on the contact paper, I think they like sticky stuff. G was very careful where she stuck the cray paper and was the last one to complete it, she wanted to get it just right. It is was a fun way to make leaf decorations for the window.

6 comments:

La said...

What a cute idea! I'm going to have to try it with the girls.

Jennifer said...

You are brilliant! I only wish I could dream up 1/2 of these great crafts! Thanks so much for sharing your day with us Shannon.

Tracy said...

WOW! Your creativity blows me away... I can definately see the teacher come out here! You are an awesome Mom!

Shannon said...

The internet is a wonderful tool girls:0) I don't come up with the ideas, I just find them, and sometimes modify them to meet my needs.

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to brush up on my spanish and sign language! G tries to do the signs, but can't quite get her fingers in the right positions. S just screams Akka!!!! really loud at the computer whenever I go to your site!
Great leaf idea!

Sara said...

I decided if you can do crafts with up to 5 kiddos, I can do at least SOME with my boys. Today we took a trip to Hobby Lobby, and now we have four leaves hanging from our blinds. Thanks for the idea and instructions. I still don't know how you manage everything.