Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Falling leaves


So here goes. Today we started working on Autumn, by talking about leaves, adding in the letter L (for leaves) and the number 2, as well as the color orange. I generally work on one letter, one number, and one color per week or 2 weeks. We had an orange for snack and discussed the fact that it was orange and how you say it in Spainish, as well as how you sign it. I have cards with this information on it to to allow for visual learning as well. There is a picture of some of what I used today in this blog. After we were all done having the snack I read 2 books to the children, which were Leaves, by Kristin Ward and Natures Walk, by Ann Burg. We talked about where leaves grow and what colors they become in the fall or autumn. The next activity was a leaf rub, using leaves we collected on our "nature walk" on the way to pick up my son from school. I had prepared cups with peeled crayons in green, yellow, orange and red, for them to use to make their leaf rub. They really didn't get the whole rub thing, but had fun doing the project anyway. They colored the paper, made the rub, or just colored on the leaves. One of the children had a bit of a problem with that, thinking that they would be unusable after being colored on. I assured him that "yes they would work just fine for using to make the rub". Overall I think it was a success due to the fact that it kept them in some organized play for a short span of time, before they went about their free play. Which was spent mainly chalking on the sidewalk, peacefully.

2 comments:

Cicada said...

I love that you're doing this! I will add you to my links, I'm honored that you have mine :) Those are great activities you did with the kids. Mine were underwhelmed with leaf rubbing last year, but I will definitely be trying it again now that the leaves are falling...

Sara said...

Can you please come and plan my day? You should start your own preschool! Amazing...