Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Movies and Popcorn without TV




We continued to study L, 8, Pink, and added octagon. We talked about the month November, Wed., and counted to the 5th on the calendar. We sang the days of the week and the ABC's. We talked about the title page, the author, and the illustrator. Then I read If You Take a Mouse to the Movies, by Laura Numeroff, discussing different elements of the story as we went along. At the end you are back to the beginning and it is a circle story, which works great for older kids to sequence. M is cutting out sentences from the story to put in order in a paper book I made for him.
The mouse strings popcorn in the story. I initially wanted to let the kids string popcorn, but I don't know how the little ones would have done with a needle, so I opted for stringing Cheerios onto a piece of yarn to make a necklace. We had popcorn as a snack instead. I was very impressed that S and AR (the youngest 2) were able to string the Cheerios onto the yarn. I put a knot in one end and a piece of tape on the other, making it pointy at the end. It makes it a bit easier for them to get the Cheerio onto the yarn. (you can use fruit loops or other cereals with holes in the middle, as well as noodles, and beads). It is great for small motor development and they love it.
Finally they each got a coloring page of Mouse with popcorn to color. Today for inspiration I used the following website http://mrscowan.com/takeamousetothemovies.htm . Though when I went to it now, it says it is not uploaded at this time, you may want to try it later.

No comments: