Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Little Piggie with a fat lip





I love the Laura Numeroff books so I was excited for the lesson yesterday. We worked on the letter L, number 8, and color pink. We looked at the calendar to practice the days of the week, month, and counting. We sang the ABC's and the Days of the week. I read If you Give a Pig a Pancake and The Three Little Pigs. Before the story we discussed which page was the title page and what was on the title page (ie author and illistrator and what each of them do to make the story). I taped pig tails on the kids that wanted to have one. I gave each of the kids a coloring sheet with the pig from If You Give a Pig a Pancake. While they colored I made pancakes as a snack/dinner. I had almost all of the pancakes cooked, all was going well. I had just reminded AP to sit on our bench, turned back around to finish the pancakes, and heard a loud thump and a scream. AP fell off the bench and was gushing blood from her mouth. I paniced a bit due to all the blood, but after calming myself down within seconds, I attemepted to calm her down. She screamed bloody murder for about 20 to 25 minutes. I had gotten the wound to slow the bleeding enough to figure out where she was bleeding from. It was her lip. She bit out 2 chunks from the inside of her lip and sliced a small portion on the outside. I gave her ice to put on it, which she very willingly did, since it hurt so much. I called the doctor and they of course wanted to see her. So as soon as I had someone here to watch the kids I took her over to the Doctor wearing a pig tail and snout. The Dr. was glad to see that it was not all the way through or sliced in a different direction. She did not need stitches. He told me that this is one of the hardest places to heal. When she smiles it occasionally starts to bleed again. He prescribed some topical pain medication. I took her to McDonald's and bought her a shake, since she has to have liquids for at least 24 hours to keep food from geting into the wound. She also had not finished eating and claimed to be very hungry, I don't blame her after all that trauma and scraming:0( Let's just say AP is accident prone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a bummer! The kids were really worried about her and talked about her "owie" last night quite a bit. Glad to hear she'll live, but still, not a pleasant experience!
Karen

Sara said...

Poor Alex, and poor you. You are right-she sure is accident prone! :) I'm glad she didn't need stitches. I love your preschool ideas for this week, though, if that's any consolation.