Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Pumpkins






There sure are a lot of things that you can do with pumpkins. Yesterday we cut out bread in the shape of a pumpkin. I used food coloring and made cream cheese orange. I had the kids spread cream cheese on the bread. Then I had them use 2 raisins for the eyes, a candy corn for a nose, and 5 cheerios for a mouth. They sort of ate it. Routine was a little different.
Today we worked on 6, orange, triangle, and the letter o. We sang the "5 Little Pumpkins"song, I'm a little Pumpkin, and added a new one "Mr. Pumpkin". The words are: Mr. Pumpkin, Mr. Pumpkin, eyes so round, eye so round, Halloween is coming, Halloween is coming, To my town, To my town. To the tune Frere Jacques. Then I read 2 stories. They were Pumpkins, by Melvin and Gilda Berger (M and AP thought the last name was hilarious. AP said mom that's just like Burger King) and Pumpkin Fever, Charan Simon. The second book ended in pumpkin pie which was a great lead into our sense of smell lesson. I had brown circles that I called the pie crust. I put cinnamon and ginger into 5 cups for each child. The spread glue all over their brown circle. I gave them theri spice mixture and had them sprinkle it over the brown circle to make a pumpkin pie. S and AR both tried to eat it. AP thought she would try it too, but quickly decided that she did not like the way cinnamon and ginger taste without anything else. S on the other hand may have eaten the brown circle and all if I had not stopped him. He really liked it. I had them all smell it and told them that it was to smell and not to eat. S asked "eat" and I had to remind him that it was not to eat it was just to smell. Everyone was a little cranky while I let them have free play so I had them catch a "bumble Bee"(we are just pretending) and we sang "I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee". Then we sang a few other songs just to change things up a bit. When they went back to play they seemed to get a long better. AR was the last one left wanting more songs, she loves to have me sing to her, even though I am tone deaf and can't really carry a tune. I still sing to them though.

No comments: