Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Part 1 of the Jack- o - Lantern




To start the day off I gave each of the kids a sponge in the shape of the first letter in their name. They all got to look at them. We talked about what letter it was and the fact that it was part of their name. Next I showed them the finished product of what we were making. I explained that we were going to paint the bags orange with our letter sponges. I placed slightly watered down orange tempra paint in 3 pie tins in the middle of the table for them to share. There is something to be said about children who are held back by the fact that they don't like to get paint on their hands. S and G were almost completely clean. My girls were not so clean. AP was putting her sponge in the paint and squeezing it through her hands covering them completely with paint and AR followed suit rather quickly. This was an innocent gesture on their part, I see the error of my ways, but I yelled at them both. It really wasn't worth me yelling about, though I know both of them know how I feel about paint being all over everything and that I prefer for them to not paint themselves (they do it often enough). So today didn't go as well as I planned it to go. We finished painting the bags. I was hoping, while we read the story The Littlest Pumpkin and talked about out P, 5, Orange, and rectangle, that the paint would have dried on their bags, but it didn't. No biggie there we will finish it tomorrow. The story was about 18 pumpkins at a pumpkin stand. One was hoping to be picked and turned into a Jack - o - Lantern. I asked if they knew what a Jack - o - Lantern was. I explained it to them as a pumpkin with a face carved in it. I know there is much more behind it then that (including that it was originally not a pumpkin at all), but for little kid sake I just used that as a way to explain it. Tomorrow we will finish making our Paper bag Jack-O-Lanterns. I will have pictures of the finished product then.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the little crafts! The kids really love the "5 little pumpkins" song too!

Heather said...

Can't wait to see the finished project Shannon!

Sara said...

You know my issues with kids and paint, so hang in there. That's exactly what my boys did, and just about my reaction. At least THEY had fun, right? ;)

Tracy said...

Sooo Awesome!!!

Jennifer said...

OK Shannon, you have finally motivated me to do some crafts with Hannah. We have nothing going on today so I'm going to make this pumpkin with her. She'll love it. Thanks for all the great ideas!